Giving up grains is one of the most challenging parts of following a low-carb lifestyle, especially a very low-carb ketogenic diet. In fact, for most people it’s far more difficult to give up bread than to give up sweet treats.
And I know a lot about that. I grew up eating bread and it was served with almost any meal so I couldn’t imagine not having it. I didn’t miss candies, cakes or sweet drinks. I craved warm, fluffy, soft bread with a nice crispy crust, ideally topped with butter, ham and cheese. And of course homemade burgers! Don’t get me wrong, I love bunless aka naked burgers but there is nothing like a proper burger.
These burgers are delicious and very filling but with none of the carbs to spike your blood sugar levels and trigger cravings. You can finally enjoy a burger that tastes just like the real deal and even include it in your keto meal plan.
Hands-on 20 minutes Overall 20 minutes
Ingredients (makes 4 cheeseburgers)
- 600 g ground beef (1.3 lb)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee or lard for greasing (15 ml)
- 1/4 cup paleo mayonnaise (55 g/ 1.9 oz) –
- 2 tbsp sugar-free ketchup or tomato puree (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1 tbsp pickle juice or lemon juice (15 ml)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Ultimate Keto Buns or Nut-Free Keto Buns
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (30 ml)
- 4 slices slices bacon, cut lenghtwise (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 2 cups green shredded lettuce (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 16 slices sugar-free pickles (40 g/ 1.4 oz)
- 8 slices red onion (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 4 slices tomato (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 4 slices slices cheddar, provolone or Monterey Jack cheese (85 g/ 3 oz)
- Prepare the Keto LOW CARB BREAD ROLLS ONLY 2G NET CARBS. If you don’t have any, you’ll need an extra hour to prepare them.
I brushed a batch of these buns with one egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon of water which gave them a shiny finish. I make mine in batches and freeze for future use. You can make any The Best Keto Homemade White Bread ! (Almost Zero Carb Bread) in advance, freeze and defrost at room temperature.
Note: Fat for greasing is not included in the nutrition facts. Some fats in the meat are lost during the cooking process.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the burger patties: beef, minced garlic, onion powder, apple cider vinegar, sea salt and black pepper. Do not overmix or the burgers will become tough.
- Using your hands, create 4 equal patties, 1/2 to 3/4 inch (1 1/4 to 2 cm) thick. Use your hands to smooth any cracks.
- Pierce the patties with a fork several times. This will loosen the patties and help them cook equally without curling or getting tough while enabling maximum caramelisation. Set aside.
- Prepare the burger sauce by mixing the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To brown the keto burger buns, cut them widthwise. Brush them with melted butter and cook in a hot skillet cut side down for about a minute or until browned and crispy. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Grease the hot skillet with a tablespoon of ghee and add the burger patties. The patties should sizzle as soon as they touch the skillet. Do not crowd the pan – work in batches. Cook over high heat, until a crust forms on the bottom and the burgers are easy to flip on the other side. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Once flipped, cook until the crust forms on the bottom and the sides are browned. Do not pierce the burgers with a fork or you will lose the juices. It will take another 2-3 minutes to cook through. The thicker the patties, the longer they will take to cook. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Here is the World Best 7 days Ketogenic Meal Plan Challenge lost 10 lbs in a week>>>The World Best Step By Step 7-Day Ketogenic Diet Meal Plan !
- In the same pan, cook the bacon slices. Cut each of the slices lengthwise and cook until browned and crispy. Alternatively, bake in the oven.
- To assemble the burger: Spread about 2 teaspoons of the burger sauce on each bun halve. Top each the bottom half with 4 slices of pickles and add a quarter of the shredded lettuce.
- Add a burger patty, 2 onion slices, 1 slice of tomato and 1 slice of cheese.
- Place under a broiler for a minute until the cheese is meted. Otherwise, you can add the cheese directly on top of the burger patty while still hot (see more in step 8). Finally, top with 2 slices of cooked bacon and add the top half of the burger bun.
- Enjoy! Serve with leftover burger sauce, or low-carb ketchup and homemade Dijon mustard. Optionally, serve with more pickles or a big bowl of crispy vegetable salad drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
If anyone wants more Delicious Keto and Low Carb Recipe so Join My New Group
Here you can get best and new Recipes >>>The Best Easy Keto and Low Carb Recipes for Beginners
Allergy information for The Best Keto Cheeseburger
✔ Gluten free ✔ Nut free✔ Avocado free✔ Fish free✔ Shellfish free
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per cheeseburger)
|Beef, minced (ground), raw, grass-fed|
|0 g||25.8 g||30 g||381 kcal|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Onion powder, spices|
|0.8 g||0.1 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Apple cider vinegar|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.2 g||0.1 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|0.1 g||0.2 g||11.4 g||102 kcal|
|0.4 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Lemon juice, fresh|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Ultimate Keto Buns, homemade|
|4.3 g||10.1 g||15.9 g||208 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||5.8 g||51 kcal|
|Bacon, crispy (bacon grease removed)|
|0 g||4.8 g||1.6 g||34 kcal|
|Lettuce, mixed leaf salad|
|0.2 g||0.2 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|0.1 g||0.1 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Onion, red, fresh|
|1 g||0.2 g||0 g||6 kcal|
|0.8 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||5 kcal|
|Cheese, cheddar, sharp, sliced|
|0.5 g||5.2 g||7.2 g||87 kcal|
|Total per cheeseburger|
|8.8 g||47 g||72.1 g||887 kcal|